Sunday, January 25, 2009

Is There a Neighborhood Bookstore Around Here?

As I finish reading Lynne Tillman's Bookstore: The Life and Times of Jeanette Watson and Books & Co. I can't help but wonder what the future of the independent bookstore will be. The description of the store is very romantic. Some sections came and went depending on who the book buyer was (sometimes there was a fly-fishing section, other times Books & Co. had a great philosophy section.) Jeannette was dedicated to promoting authors and hosting readings and events at the store. She threw parties, sponsored joint events with the Whitney Museum, and even tried her hand at publishing. She created a salon-like atmosphere that drew many very loyal patrons. Yet, after twenty years, for a number of reasons, the institution that was Books & Co. closed it's doors. The story is not only filled with information regarding Books & Co. but with interesting and relevant narratives from: writers, artist, actors, publishers, CEO’s, socialites, and bookstore owners. Tillman’s book reveals the romance and magic of this New York institution as well as exposing the day-to-day difficulties of managing a bookstore.



Recently, a Portland bookstore, 23rd Avenue Books, closed after being in business for twenty-nine years. It was a very small store and had a selection that didn't particularly appeal to me. But they had readings there and events there. And I'm sure that if there was a particular book that I wanted I could have gotten it through them. But instead I chose to go to Powell's or much worse (right?) Amazon.



I admit I feel a little guilty because even though this was my neighborhood bookstore, and I walked by it on an almost daily basis, I rarely went in, and I don't know if I ever bought a book there. Honestly, it didn't capture my attention like a Powell's or one of the larger bookstores tend to. It was too small and I was never able to "get lost". If for some reason I did go in to look for a particular book i never found it, and I'm not one to order something from a store, especially when I can order it online. I tend to want it when I want it.



So what gives an independent bookstore a chance at success? How can small neighborhood bookstores appeal to enough people to cancel out the selection and price that larger bookstores can offer to the consumer. What level or type of service will a shopper choose over cheaper and a more varied selection? And perhaps most importantly how can an independent bookstore convince consumers that shopping with them is to the benefit of their families and communities. These are just a few of the first questions that someone will need to answer before they hope to open a successful independent bookstore.

No comments: